NORWALK, Ohio - IHRA competition in 1999 will feature two regions for World Championship Series competition and four regions for Bracket World Finals. WCS regions will be defined as Northern and Southern, while BWF regions will be Northern, Eastern, Southeastern, and South Central.
I. WCS Races
The "points" races, as they have come to be called, will be contested in 2 separate regions. Each region will host 8 WCS events. Exact details may be found in the IHRA Rulebook, which will be out in late December. To assist IHRA racers in planning for 1999, this is a brief outline of how the program will work.
1. Northern Region: Eight Events
2. Southern Region: Eight Events
1. Rules will be the same for each Region. Points will be earned in exactly the same manner. At the present, separate Regional points will not be maintained. Regional champions will not be crowned.
2. Each driver will declare a home Region the first time he/she enters a WCS event.
3. Points may be earned at the 8 races in your Region, and at up to 2 "Wild Card" races outside your Region, for a total of 10 WCS Events. The 2 "Wild Card" races, from which points will accumulate, will be the first 2 WCS Events (from outside your declared Region) you enter. You may race at addition WCS Events(outside your Region) but no additional points will be earned.
4. Points will be totaled from your best 5 finishes from 10 WCS Events and your best 6 finishes from 12 National Events.
5. Bonus Points will be earned for entering 6 WCS Events and 7 National Events.
II. BWF Races
The Bracket World Finals races will once again be sponsored by Summit Racing Equipment and presented by Sunoco Race Fuels. A fourth Region has been added to service the new tracks and racers in the South Central part of the country.
1. Northern Region- Norwalk, Ohio - Norwalk Raceway Park, October 8-9, 1999. Tracks that normally compete at the Northern BWF.
2. Eastern Region- Darlington, S.C., Darlington International Dragway, October 22-24. Tracks that presently compete at the Eastern BWF, with some adjusting.
3. SouthEastern Region- Steele, Ala., Alabama International Dragway, October 29-31. Tracks that presently compete at the Southern BWF, with some adjusting.
4. SouthCentral Region- Shreveport, La., Red River Raceway, November 5-7, 1999. Tracks from the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Western Tennessee.
All four Regions will be treated the same. Individual Regions will continue to be tailored to reflect the input of the Regions' participating track operators.
III. In Summary:
Eventually, both the WCS and BWF Regions will be similar in territory. That
time is a few years away. IHRA has to grow in both racers and racetracks
first. This is the first step of many that will lead to the growth,
expansion, and well being of an IHRA that you can be proud of!
Copyright ©2020 AUTOSALES INC, dba Summit Racing Equipment
Ready to take your order at 1-800-230-3030 | Customer Service 1-800-517-1035