GLENDORA, Calif. --
And nothing, not before or perhaps ever again, will compare to the walk down memory lane NHRA fans will get to take at the 50th running of the Kragen O'Reilly NHRA Winternationals, Feb. 11-14, 2010 at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona, when NHRA officials unveil the "Golden 50 Corral," a car show to end all car shows.
>From "Big Daddy" Don Garlits' Swamp Rat 5 to the Kohler Brothers' King Kong AA/GS to the Stone, Woods & Cook Willy's coupe (voted No. 1 in National DRAGSTER's "Favorite Race Car Ever" poll) to so many more classics, this would be a drop-everything, must-attend event for every car enthusiast from Los Angeles to London - even if it stood as a standalone, paid-entry car show.
But admission to the once-in-a-lifetime event, amazingly, will be free and open to all NHRA fans with their entry to the historic 50th annual Kragen O'Reilly NHRA Winternationals.
"We know how emotionally connected our legion of fans are to this era of NHRA drag racing so we couldn't be more excited about providing them with this rare opportunity to see and touch and feel this very important part of their past," said Gary Darcy, NHRA senior vice president, sales and marketing.
The "Golden 50 Corral" will feature approximately 75 cars and from that collection of vehicles 50 will be identified as the "Golden 50" based on historical event significance, originality, and quality of presentation.
Some of the other legendary cars on display will include:
* Don "The Snake" Prudhomme's Hot Wheels Car Hauler and AA/FC and Shelby Super Snake AA/FD
* The "big-four" Fuel-Altereds: Pure Hell, Pure Heaven, The Winged Express and the Mondello and Matsubara entry
* The Chi-Town Hustler
* The Candies & Hughes AA/FD and AA/FC
* The Dragmaster Dart and Dragmaster Two Thing AA/D
* The Jungle Jim AA/FC
* The Bud King AA/FC
* The Hawaiian AA/FD and AA/FC
* Bruce Larsen's USA-1 Chevelle AA/FC
* Howard Cams Twin Bear AA/GD